We have spent more than 150 years worshiping and learning about the Lord. Our Church began with the immigration of many German families to the Center Point area. In February, 1865, it was decided to build the St. John's Evangelical Church. As years went by, the congregation was involved with several mergers and is now a United Church of Christ congregation. A church where only German was spoken has changed to a group that welcomes all nationalities and races who wish to learn more about Christ's Gospel and to seek to develop their own, personal faith.
Because this is a special anniversary for our congregation, we are looking back at the people who have been members (picture page) but we are also looking forward to changing in ways that will make us relevant in the 21st century and help us meet the needs of a changing congregation and community.
We are a small congregation, but serving our community is very important to us. We currently support local charities with special donations each month. At Thanksgiving we helped six families with food donations. At Christmas we helped eight families with gifts. As a group we sponsor one SOS child and several members support additional SOS children. One group of our church gives $150 each month to food pantries. We are currently collecting items needed for Disaster Clean-up Kits, and world wide we support many projects through our denomination.
We believe that the door to salvation is always open and so are the doors to our church. Our mission is to be fully devoted to Jesus by opening our arms to those in search of the truth. We show God’s love and concern for our fellow man at every opportunity. Through works of charity and opening our doors to listen and love, we feel that we are walking in the footsteps of Jesus Christ.